You might be wondering how to walk on a metal roof without slipping. It is possible to walk on a metal roof—building codes require roofs to be able to withstand minimum concentrated weight requirements. With that said, whether or not you should attempt to walk on your roof is not a simple question.
Should You Perform DIY Roof Maintenance?
While it’s possible to walk on a metal roof without slipping, there are several reasons why you should think twice before climbing to the top of your roof. It’s best to hire experts for rooftop maintenance because:
- The level of danger – The main reason you shouldn’t walk on your roof is the level of danger you’ll put yourself in by doing so. Working at such a high elevation incurs serious risk. Roofing professionals have to follow strict safety guidelines to minimize the risk of a fall.
- The quality of workmanship – Another reason to rely on professionals for roof maintenance is the quality of workmanship. Roofs are a complicated part of your home, and a poorly done maintenance or repair job can cause major issues. It’s best to let professionals handle your roof.
- The warranty – If you make a mistake while trying to fix your roof, you might void its warranty. You can also cause unsightly damage with your shoes or tools.
How Do You Walk on a Metal Roof Without Slipping?
You should always hire a professional for roof repairs and maintenance. However, if you ever do need to walk on your metal roof, be sure to take precautions to keep yourself safe. To walk on your metal roof without slipping, always:
- Check the condition of the roof before trying to walk on it. If anything appears broken or damaged, keep your feet on the ground.
- Wear shoes with good traction.
- Make sure your ladder is at least three feet taller than the roof edge, giving you something to hold onto.
- Avoid walking on any of your roof’s steep inclines.
- Crouch and lean down towards the roof to help maintain your balance.
- Use a roof safety harness.
Contact Erie Construction for Roof Repairs and Maintenance
While it is possible to walk on a metal roof without slipping, it’s much wiser to contact professionals for roof maintenance or repairs. If there’s an issue with your roof, contact us at Erie Construction, and we’ll be happy to help fix it.