Depending on the type of roof you’ve selected, the installation process isn’t necessarily going to be the same. For instance, to install a metal roof, contractors must possess specialized tools and skills. Otherwise, a lack of experience could result in a poorly installed metal roof; if your new roof in Northern New Jersey isn’t skillfully installed, you could miss out on many of the benefits that led you to select metal roofing in the first place.
That being said, make sure that you’re not simply hiring the first contractor you come across, regardless of their credentials or experience. For instance, if they’ve only ever installed asphalt shingle roofing, they might not possess the necessary knowledge to correctly install your brand-new metal roofing system.
So, we’d like to help lead you on your journey toward installing a metal roof. This guide was created to help you understand what you should prioritize or consider before selecting a contractor to take care of your roof installation.
Where to Find a Top Roofing Contractor
Before you even kick off your search for a roofing contractor, you’ll need to know where to look. While a quick search engine query is a great start, it isn’t the only method to finding a great contractor and weeding out those you’d like to avoid.
To find the best contractor for your roofing needs, you can always:
- Ask around and receive referrals (from family, friends).
- Get in touch with reputable roofing organizations (for example, the National Roofing Contractors Association).
- Contact a builder or an architect for recommendations.
- Talk to the roofing manufacturer, and see if they can point you in the right direction.
If you’re searching online, there are several resources worth considering. Some popular companies are:
- Angi (formerly Angie’s List)
- Everybody Needs a Roof
Narrowing Down the Roofing Contractor Search
Once you’ve found some options, it can still be challenging to determine which are worth pursuing. After all, roofing contractors aren’t exactly in short supply—even if you consult the resources we’ve listed above. Nevertheless, these resources are a fantastic place to start, although it’s still possible for them to provide you with duds.
Before scheduling a consultation in Northern New Jersey, make sure that you’re not wasting your own time. To whittle down your search, follow these steps:
- Ensure that the contractor or organization has metal roof experience—for instance, make sure that they don’t stick to asphalt shingles, which is the case for some roofers.
- Check out reviews left by prior clients, and get a clearer sense of what you can expect from the contractor; you can also look at the Better Business Bureau website.
- Look at the roofer’s portfolio or gallery of their past projects, which you should be able to find on their site.
- Expand your perusal, and check out the contractor’s social media content, online assets, or other areas of their website.
Consulting a Metal Roofing Contractor
Now that you’ve found the picks most suited to your roofing needs and standards, it’s time to schedule the consultations. Generally, it’s a good idea to consult more than one roofer, even if you feel like you’re dead set on a particular option.
In reality, it’s wise to consult a minimum of three metal roofing contractors before making your final selection. This way, you can feel confident about the choice you’ve made and that they were the best option available.
What should you expect during your consultation? Generally, consultations with reputable roofing contractors will include:
- Determining the field measurements of your roof.
- Thoroughly inspecting the site—for example, the contractor may look at flashing zones, penetration points, roof access, and more.
- Providing you with suggestions for your new metal roof—could include profile, metal and panel types, accessories, etc.
- Discussing payment—how does this contractor typically handle the payment process?
- Asking questions about the upcoming project.
- Reviewing the proposal the roofer created, based upon the information they’ve gathered.
What to Ask Your Metal Roofing Contractor
As we’ve mentioned, you will have an opportunity to ask the roofer questions during the consultation. It’s important not to skip this step, as the answers you receive could play a key role in determining whether this is the contractor for you.
If you’re unsure what you should be asking, here are a few ideas:
- Are you licensed?
- Do you have workers’ compensation insurance, and can you provide evidence of this? What about liability insurance?
- How long have you been in business? How many years have you been installing metal roofing, specifically?
- Can you provide me with any references I can talk to?
- Do you offer warranties? What kind of warranties? Are they transferable? Where should I go to apply?
- How long do you expect the installation to take?
- Will the metal roofing installation be performed by your workers or by subcontractors?
- What will the upfront payment look like?
- Are there any possible problem areas on my roof? How will this impact the installation?
- How do you plan to protect the surrounding areas from damage as you work on the installation?
- Who is my contact going to be throughout the process?
Of course, this isn’t a comprehensive list of the questions you could ask. So, make sure that you’re not sticking solely to generic or broad questions—even if they’re still important to ask. Instead, consider your needs and roofing situation, and make sure you’re gathering all the information you’ll need to select the best contractor for you.
Finding Your Metal Roofing Contractor: Remember to Be Patient
As you seek out your metal roofing contractor in Northern New Jersey, make sure not to rush the process. It’s understandable to feel impatient after a point—however, keep in mind that a skillfully installed metal roof will last you decades. In contrast, a poorly installed roof can experience issues within just a few years. Therefore, for the sake of your future convenience, make sure you hire the best roofing contractor from the start.