How to Fireproof Your HomeOct 19, 2018
Fireproofing your home is a simple but highly effective way to prevent the devastating damage caused by a house fire. Fireproofing your home now will give you the peace of mind of knowing you’ve prepared in advance for a potential emergency. Look at these common causes of household fires to gain a better understanding of how you can reduce the number of fire hazards in your home.
Be Cautious in the Kitchen
Since about half of all home fires develop in the kitchen, it’s imperative for homeowners to take extra precautions when using appliances in this room. Kitchen fires are often attributable to unattended ovens and stoves, unclean cooking appliances that result in grease fires, and flammable materials, such as oven mitts or aprons catching on fire.
Monitor and Clean Appliances
Most modern homes have an array of devices that operate on gas, heat, or electricity, which makes them a potential fire hazard. Devices that are more than 15 years old pose a greater risk, especially if no one cleans or maintains them well. Here’s a look at how you can fireproof some of your standard household appliances.
Clean Your Dryer
Dryers that experience a buildup of dust and dirty particles are at a greater risk of causing a fire. Check your dryer regularly and clear away any lint and dust immediately after each use to reduce buildup and decrease the chance of a fire developing.
Replace Old Dishwashers
Heating elements within a dishwasher serve to increase the water temperature as a means of drying the dishes, but these components can become too hot and catch on fire. Dishwashers that are old or broken are especially susceptible to this, so it may be a good idea to have your dishwasher replaced if it’s nearing the end of its functional lifespan.
Be Careful What You Put In Your Microwave
Microwaves can be a severe fire hazard when you heat food on materials such as Styrofoam, aluminum foil, and certain types of plastic. Before putting anything in your microwave, doublecheck that the material is completely microwave safe.
Clear Crumbs From Toasters
The electrical mechanism inside toasters and toaster ovens can break over time and cause the device to stay on after you’ve switched it off, so never leave your device unattended and always remember to unplug it after each use. The remains of bread crumbs can also accumulate inside a toaster and burn, so be sure to clean your toaster regularly.