If You Need a New Roof on Your Indiana Home, Fall Is a Great TimeNov 14, 2020
If you are an Indiana homeowner in need of a roof replacement, you may be wondering if this is a bad time of year to have it installed. While that may be true with certain roofing materials like asphalt, you can rest assured that fall is a perfect time for a metal roof installation. If your current roof is in disrepair, you don’t want to wait until spring if you don’t have to. Winter weather can cause leaks that damage your home’s interior, and an aging roof can negatively impact your home’s energy efficiency and cost you more on your winter utility bills. When you install a metal roof, it will save you money on your energy costs for years to come, and you will likely never need a replacement again. The benefits a metal roof offers to your home far exceed those of other roofing materials. If you are considering a metal roof, look at how fall is ideal for getting the job done.
Reasons Fall Is a Great Time to Get a Metal Roof
Unlike other traditional shingles, you can get a metal roof installed on your Indianapolis home at any time of the year. Many products need to be installed when temperatures are moderate to warm to adhere properly and protect your home. Durable, long-lasting metal roofs, however, offer the advantage of proper installation regardless of outside temperatures. Consider the benefits that a fall installation of your metal roof provides.
- Compatibility with green energy. When protecting the environment and reducing carbon emissions is high on your list of priorities, a metal roof is one of the best options for you. Solar panels can be installed easily over a metal roof, and in most cases, they can be installed without causing any damage or penetration of the metal roof itself. When you have an asphalt roof, you are likely to need a replacement after 20 years, but metal roofs typically last between 50 and 70 years, so there is no need to remove your panels for a future roof replacement. In addition, metal roofs are completely recyclable when they reach the end of their lifespan so that they won’t end up in a landfill like many other roofing materials. You can also install a metal roof right over your old roof, so you can save money on your installation and prevent the old shingles from going to the dump.
- Winter performance. When you install a metal roof in the autumn, one of the first benefits you get to see is how the roof protects your home from harsh winter weather. Metal is one of the strongest roofing materials during any type of storm, especially when snow and ice are involved. Heavy snows put a lot of weight on your roof, and this can cause a great deal of undue stress to your home’s internal structure. When you have a metal roof, this is not an issue because they are designed to allow snow and ice to slide off easily and reduce the roof’s weight. If you are worried about the snow sliding off all at once and harming objects or individuals on the ground below, you can prevent this by installing snow stops.
- No damming. You will also find that the ice dams that form on traditional roofs as the snow melts and refreezes don’t occur on metal roofs. The meltwater from snow during the day completely drains off the roof, which stops these dams from forming in the evening when temperatures drop. When ice dams form on other roofing materials, the meltwater backs up the next day. It penetrates the roof and damages the materials beneath the shingles, resulting in costly repairs.
- Energy benefits. Metal roofs act as terrific insulators during the winter months by creating a space where cool and warm air can circulate properly. This helps keep your home warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. You will appreciate the savings you see on your heating and cooling bills year-round.
- Installation at any time. When outdoor temperatures get cooler in the autumn and winter, roofing contractors that install asphalt shingles often need to suspend roof replacements until warmer weather arrives. These shingles require a certain temperature to adhere and offer the protection that the roof needs to function properly when storms arrive. There is no need to worry about this with metal roofs because they can be installed regardless of the outside temperature.
- Cost-effectiveness. The added benefits of year-round installation often include savings on money and time. Contractor schedules tend to be less hectic in the winter, so you are less likely to see delays in completing your new roof once a project starts. You may also get a great deal because contractors are trying to increase their workload over the winter. Many metal roofing contractors will offer savings that you can’t get during the spring and summer to attract more winter customers.
Remember to keep color in mind when you are selecting the materials for your new metal roof. There are many colors available to complement the style of your Arkansas home and its surroundings, but if you’re looking for better efficiency in the winter months, you will want to lean toward a darker shade. Darker roofs do a better job of absorbing the rays of the sun and help keep your home warmer when it’s cold outside.
Don’t Delay Just Because of the Season
If you need a new roof on your Indianapolis home and consider the benefits of metal roofs, there is no need to wait for spring to schedule your roof installation. Getting a fall or winter installation will benefit you throughout the cold months ahead and could cost less than it would at other times. Take the first step today and reach out to a trusted metal roofing contractor to get an estimate and begin planning for your new roof.