When it’s time to replace your current roofing material, you’ll have endless options for replacement options. You want to choose something that fits your style and personality. This can largely be influenced by what color, fixture, and panel options a certain material has. You’ll also want to consider your options when it comes to cost, durability, longevity, sustainability, and installation. Some roofing materials are more customizable than others, and some are more expensive than others when it comes to the ability to customize. If you are looking for something durable, long-lasting, sustainable, and comes with endless options, you’ll love a metal shake roof.
A metal shake roof creates the look and feel of cedar shake roofing. Wood has long been considered a great aesthetic for any home. Cedar shake is an option that is warm, rustic, and comforting. It is what shaped most of our history, and continued to be the main choice for decades. However, it’s also a material that requires the most maintenance and often has one of the shortest lifespans when it comes to roofing material.
A metal shake roof provides the inviting look of cedar while still being strong, durable, long-lasting, and resistant to severe weather. Metal shake roofs are composed of different metals and alloys and are available in a variety of colors and designs.
Benefits of a Metal Shake Roof
Metal shake roofing has been continuously growing as a top option for homeowners throughout recent years. This is due to the wide variety of benefits that this roofing material can provide that many of its competitors can’t. Many homeowners enjoy the look of the metal shake roof as opposed to more traditional metal panels. The mimicked look of cedar shakes allows you to have the look you want with the material that you need. Other benefits include:
- Metal shake material can withstand some of the worst conditions mother nature can throw at it. Our roof is bombarded daily by UV rays, wind, rain, snow, ice, and other natural elements that can impact the overall integrity of our roof. Metal shake roofing can withstand some of the most extreme weather conditions including heavy rains, severe winds, wildfires, lightning, snow, and is even earthquake-resistant. Metal shake roofing has a Class 4 impact rating against hail penetration. This material is perfect for areas that experience extremes in weather. You’ll never have to question the integrity of your roof, even after severe snowfall.
- Long-lasting. Homeowners are staying in their homes longer than ever. This has influenced many homeowners to choose materials that are long-lasting quality material. Metal shake roofing is one of the longest-lasting options on the market. When properly maintained, metal shake roofing can last a lifetime. Asphalt shingles can last for 15-20 years compared to metal shake roofing that can last 50+ years. Metal shake roofing also requires minimal maintenance, making it one of the easiest roofing materials to maintain year-round.
- Our carbon footprint plays a major factor in homeowner decisions in recent years. Metal shake roofing is the most sustainable option available when it comes to roofing materials. Metal shake roofing is composed of completely recyclable metals. Not only will your roof last a lifetime, but once it is time to replace it, you’ll be able to recycle the material. Most metal roofing is already made of recycled material, making the entire process from manufacturing to your installation less impactful on the environment.
- Easy to install. Metal shake roofing is lightweight, making it one of the easiest materials to install. This helps to get the installation process moving, and can even save you money in labor costs. Metal shake roofing can also be installed any time of year. While winter is never an ideal time for construction, metal shake roofing is one of the few options available for a successful winter installation. Other roofing materials need specific temperatures to ensure that the installation can be completed successfully.
- Energy-efficiency. Your roof can play an important role in the consistent heating and cooling of your home. Metal shake roofing creates a tight seal that keeps the unwanted elements of nature outside of your home. This roofing material helps to retain heat in the winter and expel it in the summer. Proper heating and cooling in your home can help to lower your monthly utility costs.
- There is a timeless look in cedar and other woods. It was one of the earliest materials used and continues to be a popular option for homeowners. Many homeowners ultimately don’t go with wood because of the cost as well as the maintenance necessary. That is why most homeowners ultimately go to options such as metal shake roofing. You can customize the color and finish of your metal shake roofing. The wide range of options helps you achieve the aesthetic you want, while still investing in a quality material that is going to last.
- Metal shake roofing is a great option for those who are looking to benefit from additional roofing accessories. This material is flexible and customizable, making it a great fit for other installations. Many homeowners who live in areas that experience a lot of snow like to install snow guards. This can help ensure that that snow is moving off your roof and in the right direction to prevent any moisture damage. You can also easily install skylights, daylights, and other accessories.
Choose Metal Shake Roofing
Metal shake roofing is the perfect option for homeowners who want a classic, cedar look with the benefits of a material that is extremely durable and can last a lifetime. You’ll love having the aesthetic you want, with a material that will require half the maintenance and last twice as long.
Metal shake roofing can protect your home from some of the worst weather elements possible. You’ll never have to question the integrity of your roof when choosing this option. You’ll be able to discuss your full options and benefits with a quality contractor. They can help you determine what metal shake roofing will be best for your home.