Saving money is a big priority for most people when it comes to home updates and repairs. Most of the time, updating or repairing part of your home can be a big investment. Because of this, you want to make sure you’re making the best decision when it comes to you, your home, and your money. One home update that is gaining traction across the country and saving its users money, as well as conserving energy, is metal roofs.
Metal roofs are one of the most popular roof choices for those updating or repairing their homes right now. Not only are they very nice looking, but metal roofs are incredibly durable. Whether you are trying to save money or trying to sell your house, a metal roof can help improve many different areas of your home. Metal roofs have multiple different finishes, leaving the choice up to the buyer and their needs. Each of these finishes produces slightly different results because of how each type reflects and absorbs solar energy.
Metal Roof Finishes:
- Reflective: This kind of metal roof is a great choice for those looking to save money and energy in the long run. Also referred to as cool-metal roofing, this type of finish uses specific cool-toned pigments that are highly reflective, ultimately lowering the overall temperature of your roof.
- Unpainted: The unpainted metal roof is also capable of reflecting solar emissions. It’s a great choice for those who might want to update their old asphalt roof that absorbs heat.
- Painted or Coated: Not only can a painted metal roof reflect solar emissions, but it can also re-emit a good amount of the solar energy, too. This helps to keep the overall temperature over your home cooler and is ideal for homeowners in warm areas.
Although the option of metal roofing is a bit more expensive than your regular asphalt shingle roof, the benefits of switching to a metal roof will save homeowners a lot more money than they might think in the long run.
5 Ways a Metal Roof Will Save You Money:
- Metal roofs last longer than your average asphalt roofs: The typical asphalt shingle roof many homeowners have, typically only lasts between 10 and 20 years, depending on the wear and tear on it by the natural elements. (And that’s even with repairs in between). Metal roofs on the other hand, have been shown to last to lengths of over 50 years. The longevity of metal roofs is just one reason many homeowners are making the investment in them today.
- A metal roof can increase the resale value of your home: Homes across the country have demonstrated that homes with metal roofs often sell higher than those with asphalt tile roofs. One of these reasons is because homeowners can be assured that they won’t have to put much money in the roof for a long period of time, maybe even for their entire stay. Metal roofs are also aesthetically pleasing, increasing the appearance of your home on the market. Additionally, metal is considered a “premium” roofing material, which also increases the value of your home.
- Metal roofs increase energy conservation and efficiency: Metal roofs have been proven to save owners from anywhere up to 40% of their average energy costs, which is another big reason homeowners are deciding to make the investment. Because metal roofs are great at reflecting solar emissions, your home doesn’t absorb nearly as much as your average asphalt shingle roof. This allows you to not only control the overall temperature of your home better, but your air conditioning will not have to work nearly as hard, cutting energy usage and costs down a great deal.
- A metal roof requires much less maintenance: As a premium material, metal lasts much longer than typical materials like wood or asphalt and hardly needs repairs. Metal is also a strong material, allowing it to battle the weather of almost any area easily. It is a perfect choice for homeowners that wish to choose a roof that will stand up to snow and ice. On top of that, metal roofs are also wind resistant. Metal roofs were actually tested as one of the strongest wind resistant materials a roof could use, sometimes not budging at wind speeds of over 150 miles per hour. This gives homeowners immense peace of mind when it comes to the dangers of harsh weather.
- Metal roofs are fire resistant: One of the most amazing aspects of a metal roof is that it is fire resistant. If a part of your house were to catch on fire, the metal does not spark or ignite. A metal roof will also do the same if struck by lightning. This is not the case with asphalt shingles. This factor alone convinces many homeowners that always consider the safety of their family as their highest priority.
Metal roofs are eco-friendly: Metal roofs are the perfect choice for those looking to take steps to make their home more eco-friendly. After all, everyone is concerned with how to make their home more “green.” Not only are metal roofs partially made from recycled materials, but they are also completely recyclable at the end of their life. This is largely different from asphalt shingle, which usually ends up in a landfill unable to be used again.
The days of wooden and asphalt shingles are slowly coming to an end as homeowners everywhere realize the benefits that come with having metal roofing. A metal roof is the perfect, durable option for those looking to update or repair their home. Although metal roofs may be more expensive to install, homeowners across the country are deciding to make the investment today and save themselves money in the long run. A metal roof is a great choice for anyone looking to cut energy costs, keep their house cooler, or even for those looking to put their homes up for sale. Learn more about the benefits of metal roofing and get your own today!