Making the decision to install a metal roof is only the first part of the equation for Missouri homeowners; the next is to find the right contractor to install it. Your choice of contractor can make the difference between a seamless installation and a process that could drag on for weeks. Though you never quite know how a project is going to turn out until it’s finished, the right team will have the record of accomplishment and experience you can trust every step of the way. Here are six questions that you should ask your St. Louis roofer before an installation.
- “How long have you been in business?” This question helps to gauge how much experience your contractor and his or her team have across the board. Older doesn’t always equate to better in roofing, but years in business often equate to satisfied customers.
- “Do you have any jobs going on that I could go see?” This question accomplishes two goals in one. It allows you to see the work in person, while also seeing the team in action. Knowing what to expect while a team is at your home is important, and that’s knowledge you can’t gain from a finished job.
- “Has your team been trained by the manufacturer of my roofing material?” Even if the team in question has years of experience, you want to know for sure that they have training on the material you chose.
- “How will you deal with materials, trash, and waste on site?” The goal with this question is to decipher how they will clean up after themselves while they are installing your roof. Will they recycle your old roof? Will they haul off the trash? Will team members use a port-a-potty or come into your home?
- “What steps do you take to ensure the safety of my family and your workers?” This is another multifaceted question. You want to know that the contractor you hire will do the utmost to keep the team safe with best safety practices. This is also paramount for family members and you if you’ll be around during the installation process. Additionally, you want to know if all employees who will be at your home were properly vetted and hired. Did the contractor do complete background checks? You want a team that understands your home is one place where safety is paramount.
- “Should plywood need replacing before you install my roofing, how much will it cost?” This question may not apply if you are installing metal over shingles, but if you want to recycle your shingles, or know of vulnerable places in the structure of your roof, you will want to know how much the contractor will charge per square foot to replace plywood. This can be an unexpected, significant expense.
Hopefully, these questions will help you to identify a great team wherever you live. If you are in Missouri, Pennsylvania, New York, Michigan, or Ohio – call our experienced, trusted team for a consultation today.